16 August, 2007

Talking to L. last night got me staying up late to think about what I want to do in the next few years, and what I’ve done in Washington in the last 10 years.

I wish I can simply travel. I still can, but need to finish my education and figure out a way to fulfill my commitments to my family. My parents aren’t getting any younger and I need to contribute to their well-being and happiness. Further, I rescued Missouri 10 years ago when she was a pup. She’s going with me wherever I travel to. Aside from that, as soon as my condo in DC sells, I am going somewhere (to Brussels for a MA, perhaps Paris and Singapore for INSEAD’s MBA, and at least to San Miguel de Allende to learn how to make molé).

As for my almost 10 years working in politics and government, I am a pessimist by experience but still an optimist at heart. I know how Capitol Hill works, and have contributed to its negative nature by working on campaigns and in congressional operations. But what democracy isn’t factional, chaotic, and self-serving by nature? At least Sulla no longer proscribes his enemies after winning a campaign. With that thought I still keep my faith in a well-managed democracy.

Lastly, I’m a political moderate by policy, but regard very liberal and very conservative individuals as my most trustworthy friends. Don’t ask . . . I’m still trying to figure that one out.

No comments: