04 February, 2009

A caffeinated life


I woke up Monday morning with a cold. My head was twirling around and I lost my voice. I had to cancel my Spanish lesson and stayed home to recover. But there's only so much time I can spend inside before I lose my mind!

Although Café del Botánico is right downstairs from my apartment and has far better food, I only go there for their medialunas. So, I packed my books and my homework and headed to DiVino, my usual neighborhood café and vinoteca. For the price of 7 pesos/US$2 for a cup of café con leche, I sat at DiVino for nearly four hours and read, wrote my journal, did my Spanish homework, and watched Palermo go by on bikes, roller blades, on foot, and in cars and buses. I stayed until dinner time (which is 10-11pm in Buenos Aires) before I headed home.

It probably helps that DiVino has a lovely waitress who doesn't pay me a bit of attention no matter how much I try to speak to her in my poor Spanish.

8 comments:

marcos amadeo said...

lets go there and do some kind routine like you are lucy lius brother or something! Casting for a movie ...

thatll get her attention

Baino said...

Haha Lucy Liu's brother . .

Practice makes perfect both for the lino and the ladies! Hope you're cold's cleared.

Baino said...

Erm I meant the lingo not floor coverings.

Anonymous said...

Where is that cafe del Botanico located?

Megan said...

I'd love to spend the day doing that. Minus the sniffles and plus a lovely wait-er, of course! :)

Hope you are feeling better.

Sven said...

Ted, maybe she would talk to you if you blatantly took a picture of her for your friends on your blog to see!

TCL said...

@ gurudigital - lets see how that works. I've family in Brooklyn.

@ baino - muchas más praticas! Cold not yet gone but it didn't stop me from having a walk for a pint tonight.

@ BaAs neighborhoods - Sante Fe y República Árabe Siria.

@ Megan - they do that in LA too. All the pretty people of the westside sit in those WeHo cafés and ponder their hard lives.

@ Sven - good idea. I'll try that after the lucy liu bit.

Cuppa Jo said...

$2US! Too bad I stopped drinking coffee.