02 November, 2008

Ocean to the west and mountains to the east

Growing up a Southern Californian meant around-the-year sunshine, beaches and tall mountains close by, and wineries. Aside from New York City, no other North American metropolitan area can match the Los Angeles region's culinary offerings. Growing up a Southern Californian meant playing beach volleyball one day and skiing in the mountains the next; it meant having dim sum for brunch and having fish tacos for dinner. While Los Angeles hasn't been my home for quite a number of years, I still fancy, in concept, what the city has to offer.

I've had the luxury of traveling to the Pacific Northwest from time-to-time. I used to have work in Portland, Oregon and still have family there. The region occupies a special place in my heart. For one, the geography of the Northwest is similar to that of Southern California's; the Pacific is to the west, and the mountains are to the east.


I was recently in Seattle, Washington for a few September days. Here are a couple photos I took.

5 comments:

Baino said...

TCL (your last name has got to be Lee?) I'm so glad I found you, I love the travel, slice of live blogs. That's quite a trip from DC to Seattle. I had a Seattle Lawyer and his family stay with me during the Olympics in 2000. Moved in with my Dad and rented out my house, they were lovely. Mmmmm crab . . .

TCL said...

Seattle is a fantastic town and the rain never bugged me. But the seafood is simply amazing!

We don't have proper seafood in DC.

Megan said...

I once spent a week in Seattle. It rained every day, but it didn't bug me either!

kj said...

hello, i'm visiting from baino's blog. i have a niece in seattle and enjoyed seeing your shots of it. so now you're an east-coaster: quite a change, huh?

:)

TCL said...

Thanks kj!

Yup East Coaster for now. Been here for 16 years. About to leave though.