13 September, 2007

Rugby World Cup: Week 2

Amidst cries of "Waltzing Matilda," "forza Italia," "allez les Bleus," and even "allez les Lelos (Republic of Georgia)" in my head, I cheered for the USA Eagles tonight. Having missed the real time televised match this morning at 8am DC time, I watched my recorded DVD of the match. How can we lose to Tonga? While home nations and the southern hemisphere giants slap the "minnow" status on us, how can we lose to one of the world's poorest nation?

On the other hand, I interviewed a PAC manager for my office today. I know it's just how business is done in DC, but I'm still mulling over her claim that political donations are"clean, good, and contribute to the political process." Perhaps political fundraising contribute to further partisan political purposes, but it certainly doesn't serve the greater interest of the republic.

Then again, what's the difference between Hillary Clinton collecting $3 million a night versus the local school board candidate raising $500 through a bake sale?

No comments: